Understanding Percent Problems
- the base ( B ) or whole or total amount, a standard used for comparison
- the portion ( P ) or part being compared with the base
- the rate ( R ) or percent, a percent number
Example: What is 20% of 280?
- is indicates the portion (or percent) P to be found.
- % indicate the percent rate R, here R = 30%
- of indicates the base B which is equal to 280.
- Change the rate (percent form) to a decimal and
- Multiply the base amount by this decimal
- What is 40% of 70?
- Find 40% of 70.
- 40% of 70 is what number?
- Change 40% into decimal:
40% = 0.40
- Multiply the number by the decimal:
70 x 0.40 = 28